How to Master the Art of Layering for Year-Round Style. Mastering the art of layering is a great way to elevate your style and create versatile looks throughout the year. Layering offers several benefits beyond just adding style to your outfits.
Here are some advantages of incorporating layering into your wardrobe:
- Versatility – Layering can create multiple outfits, giving you a more comprehensive range of options with your existing wardrobe.
- Temperature Regulation – By trapping the air between the layers, layering is a great option to keep you warm. You can then lighten the layers to stay cool and comfortable when it gets warmer.
- Extended Wardrobe Use – Make the most of your wardrobe by reducing the need for purchasing new seasonal garments. By mixing lighter pieces with warmer layers, you can extend the usability of your items.
By mastering the art of layering, you can create dynamic and functional outfits that suit your needs and preferences.
To establish stability, growth, and success, one needs a foundation.
Layering requires a lightweight base layer; these could be:
- A button-up shirt
- Thin sweater
Remember, consider the weather. Whether you are in the Netherlands or London, Brazil, or Mexico, a base layer can provide insulation and moisture management as well as a backup piece for when things get too hot.
Check out our Basic top, ‘Amy’ grey with Dolman sleeves; this basic t-shirt with Dolman sleeves is an absolute must-have in any wardrobe. Whether you combine this top with jeans for a casual look or a pencil skirt for your business appointment, it will become one of your favourites.
You can add depth and a visual spark to your outfits by adding textures.
The goal here is a harmonious balance whilst adding richness to your outfits, making them more visually attractive and engaging.
- Knits – Provides warmth and a great contrast with smoother fabrics.
- Silk or Satin – Create a luxurious, sophisticated, and elegant feel
- Leather – Great for adding a sleek, edgy texture that’s great for making a statement
- Denim – An easy texture to create a rugged look, its versatility makes it easy to combine with other fabrics.
- Tweed – A classic and sophisticated texture that can be used for blazers or coats, a timeless choice for your outfits.
Get your own rugged texture look with our Unisex Kimono Jacket of Raw Organic Denim crafted from indestructible raw denim; this minimal jacket is cut for a relaxed, boxy fit or a tailored look.
Paying attention to proportions is important when layering your clothes to ensure a balanced and visually pleasing look.
Here are some tips to consider when it comes to proportions in layering:
- Length – creates visual interest, adds dimension, and prevents layers from blending.
- Necklines – create interest in your outfit with a collared shirt, crew neck sweater, or even a V-neck top with a blazer.
- Order – Start with the thinnest and most form-fitting layer closest to your body, and add the bulkier layers on top. This creates a streamlined silhouette and prevents excess bulkiness.
STUDIO EVA D’s Kimono Coat of Black Wool is a great garment to add a contrasting length for a final layer. This relaxed-fit coat can be worn as a dress or an overcoat, featuring patch pockets and a removable belt.
The key to mastering any skill is practice and experimentation! Combine your textures, mix and match with colours, and observe what’s best for you!
Remember, layering is a process of trial and error. It’s ok when it doesn’t work. Enjoy the process, and more importantly, have fun!
Wear what you love. Cherish it, and it lasts a long time.
Don’t miss out on new insights by subscribing to our free newsletter to receive the latest news on our projects, campaigns, discounts, and more!